Tuesday, June 29, 2010

$money - Where art thou inspiration?

A saxophonist that I respected once said to me that "There are no new melodies under the sun, only reused ones...".

That really stuck with me till today. So when I hear an "original" piece of music in my head, it's most probably credited from some songs that I've heard somewhere before. I'm the kind who'll listen to any music that you throw at me so that could have helped amassing a catalogue of tunes & grooves in my subconscious.

50 cents change in my pocket

It was a nice Saturday afternoon when I was listening to a random playlist of music stored in my personal locker in the cloud (http://mp3tunes.com). The playlist went on to play 50 cent's "In Da Club" and I went "Ah ha! That's where all the armchair gangsta rap inspiration come from!". I have this folder labeled "Hip Hop" within my mp3 collections, courtesy of a nice friend and I must have went through the songs inside somewhere back in time. But I'm also pretty sure that song's one of 50 cent's more popular tunes so I might had heard it over on the radio, in a friend's car, at a home party etc.



Google makes us a genius

That's just one piece of the puzzle. What about the Jay Chou inspiration? Wouldn't need to leave that to chance because all I had to do was to type "Jay Chou rap" in google search and walah! Jay Chou's "Checkmate". Once again I must have heard this song some in the publicsphere because I don't have a habit of listening to JC's song.



So now that I've nailed down 2 pieces of music that I've subconsciously referenced with, I'm beginning to feel that the beats that I laid down were too busy when compared to these giants. Hmm... I might tone it down but I might also just leave it as it is. Let's see how I take this song further in the coming days.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Arun said...

Nice! In Da Club is one of my favourite hip hop songs

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home