Saturday, June 12, 2010

$money - The Skeleton

And so begins my journey with $money.

When the inspiration first hit me, I was hearing blurry rap in my head - syncopated garbled lyrics with a clear sense of rhythm. The drums were the most distinct so it became the skeleton to work my ideas on.

So I started with basic snare + kick on my PreSonus Studio One. Since I had a gangsta rap in mind. I chose the "Hip Hop" drumkit on a Presence track (midi).

The track below shows the syncopation that was ringing in my head. Notice the slight tinge of hi-hat sound in that sampled kick offered by the kit. Love it.

Money - chorus drumloop (snare + kick) by jasonong

So based on this snare + kick combo, I've decided to lay regular 4/4 hi-hats with a section that actually syncs with the kick. Thought this helps to add color to that rhythmic section.

Money - chorus drumloop (snare + kick + hi-hat) by jasonong

And then I proceeded to add a tamborine just to push the 4/4 beat along and make the loop sound fuller.

chorus drumloop (snare + kick + hi-hat + tamborine) by jasonong

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home