Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Progressive rock videos

Hi all,

Yup it's been quite some time since I've posted here regularly! Well good news is I'm finishing most of my performance commitments for this half of the year so I'll be able to blog more! :)

In this post I shall open up world of "Progressive rock" to my readers. As the name of the genre suggest, it's rock with a twist >> progressive movements/cadences throughout the songs. My first contact with this genre was thru the long-defunct "Rock, Rip & Roll" hosted by then 98.7FM DJ Anne Neo. She was like the only rock chick that I knew of then. Here's a GuitarTalk salute to her for shaping my sonic tastes! :)

Anyway as I was saying, it was during that show that I got to know about THE KINGS OF PROGRESSIVE ROCK "DREAM THEATER". Just ask any prog rock fans and if they don't know them >> they are fakes! And so Anne Neo played "Pull Me Under" on radio and I had my little tape recorder on standby to record any great tracks on that show. Those were the days... the only cheap and viable way for me to know about great music... these days we're so blessed with audio downloads, videos, google, etc.

And thanks to Google video, I've managed to catch the MTV of "Pull Me Under"! Man, this song still gives me the chills after all these years! It's so early nineties! And the reason why I was looking for that video was because I did a search for "Sonata Arctica" (Dream Theater's predecessors) videos...

After watching these videos, I made some observations:

- Though both videos are made a musical generation apart, they're theme and videography didn't really changed much.
- What's with prog rock and ghostly themes???
- They always feature the vocalists whining away first and climaxed with the guitarists showing off their chops.
- Long hair and more long hairs!
- Double bass for drums is a must!

I think though these guys makes great music, they aren't backed up with a great budget for a great video for the masses... that's just my 5 cents... heh... Catch their videos below and judge for yourselves! :)

Dream Theater:


Sonata Arctica:


P.s. Many thanks to Alvin and my larling Angie for letting me listen to S.A.'s version of "Wing Beneath My Wings"! :)

Blessings,
GuitarTalk

Tags: progressive rock, dream theater, sonata arctica, video, pull me under,
wolf & raven

Send Me A Message

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home